Saturday 31 January 2009

Unfinished Sympathy

There's one song I want played when I die. I want my coffin to burn to this song. It's "Unfinished Sympathy" by Massive Attack. I love this song so much. I remember first hearing this song when I was a kid and not understanding it, not recognising the sheer beauty of the work involved and it was only years later that I realised that people still played this song at parties and in pubs and clubs and bars and no one questioned the validity of the song. It's timeless. It's one of those strangely timeless, ageless works of music that defy logic and explanation as to why they're so revered. Everything about it - the strings, the electronic beats, the searingly beautiful vocals - is perfection. I don't care if the song has an Elgar sample - the fact that someone sampled Elgar and made it work so beautifully on a totally different level and with a totally different theme is incredible. I don't care if they used a Paul Simon song for the percussion. It works. It sears. It tears through all the crap and it punches you in the face. And it'll be around long after I'm dead.

It is, literally, a work of modern art. And it's unsurpassed. No one has ever covered it and done it justice. No one will.

No comments:

Post a Comment